There are many ways to be involved with the breastfeeding community here – as a mom, milk donor, volunteer and more.
Connecting with Other Moms
- We host various support groups– please join us to get support and connect with other moms! More information available here.
- MILC Moms Facebook Group: Stay connected to other moms and to MILC via Facebook! Anyone who has attended one of our classes, groups, or visits, as well as all WBWC patients, may join. For your privacy, this is a closed group, email email@example.com and request an invitation. Please specify if you are a WBWC or lactation-only patient.
- Read some of our Stories of Strength to hear the voices of families who have struggled with different breastfeeding challenges. If you are encountering difficulties, you are not alone! If you would like to share your story on this page, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- One of the most precious gifts you can give is the gift of your milk. Donor milk is lifesaving for premature and medically fragile babies. Milk donations also enable us to offer limited supplies of donor milk to birth center patients with a medical need.
- Milk donors go through a screening process (similar to that for blood donors) and milk is tested, pasteurized, and processed before it is dispensed. We are fortunate to have the WakeMed Milk Bank in our community. Please contact them if you are interested in becoming a donor.
Volunteering & Shadowing
The birth center, including MILC, is always in need of volunteers. MILC volunteers may help with revising handouts, administrative tasks, planning events, coordinating support groups, or community outreach. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
If you are interested in shadowing a lactation consultant, or are a lactation student looking for clinical practice hours, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome shadowers and students, with the understanding that patients must consent to their presence.
All of us at MILC have an interest in breastfeeding research, whether we are doing the research, writing, or just trying to keep abreast of the latest news. Connect to our Facebook page for opportunities to participate in research projects in our area.